What causes brown and stringy vaginal discharge?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 4 Sep 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I have a stringy vaginal red now brown discharge (2 days post period). Accompanied with left side stomach pain and diareah (latter which has been there for a couple of months with a bubbly gas when pressed on left). I had a baby two years ago with a retained placenta on the right.
I did a pregnancy test 2 weeks ago and a few days ago both of which were negative.
Do you have any advice?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not due to pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Since your periods have finished just few days ago, pregnancy is ruled out. The mild red brown discharge that you are having is likely to be due to a left over blood from the previous periods. This is likely to subside on its own in next few days.
The slight stomach pain and diarrhea is likely to be due to a mild intestinal infection. This can be due to gas and indigestion also.
Pineapple juice, lemon juice, ginger juice, grapes, etc may be taken after every meal for relief.Otherwise take antacids and digestive enzymes on regular basis for relief.
In case the symptoms are persistent then do get your stool examined to rule out any infections.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Thank you so very much for your reply. I notice i have a small round lump in my stomach on the lower left side that emits bubbles when pressed. Is this related to the possible gas and indegestion?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The small round lump that you have noticed is likely to be distended bowel loop that emits gas bubbles on pressing. This will subside after taking pre and probiotics.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Thankyou so very much
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful.
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best regards.