Suggest treatment for chronic endometriosis

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Jul 2016 in Women's Health
Question: My doctor failed to remove the placenta during the birth of my only son. It was by Ceaseran birth. They scraped me out 4 months later and I have chronic endometriosis and can not have another child as they
remove my ovaries. I am in constant pain. Did the "retained" placenta cause the endometriosis?
Thanks for your answer. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not due to retained placenta.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
A retained placenta will not cause endometriosis. The exact cause of endometriosis is not known. One theory is that the endometrial tissue is deposited in unusual locations by the retrograde flow of menstrual debris through the Fallopian tubes into the pelvic and abdominal cavities. The cause of this retrograde menstruation is not clearly understood.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 hours later
Thank you so much for your timely reply. I have looked on the internet which I realize isn't the best place for medical advise, and have seen supposedly valid websites say things like "chronic endometriosis is generally associated with retained placenta. All I know is that it has certainly impacted me, my family, and the expanded family that I had dreamed I would have.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can cause chronic endometritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Retained placenta can cause chronic endometritis - an infection of the endometrium. It is not likely to cause endometriosis - which means presence of endometrium at places other than uterine inner lining. Both the conditions cause a chronic pelvic pain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T