What causes breathing and swallowing difficulty after swallowing chicken bone?

ENT Specialist
Question
I think I swallowed a small chicken bone. It happened a few hours ago now, and I don't think it has gone into my stomach yet. I feel an uneasiness in my chest. Breathing is fine, swallowing is fine. I just feel something in the middle of my chest? Should I be concerned? I don't have medical coverage, so I would like to avoid the doctor at all costs. But if I have to go, I will.
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepashree 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
Since you have no breathing and swallowing difficulty, it is very unlikely that chicken bone is stuck in the throat or down the oesophagus.
Don't worry.
Chicken bone piece usually get stuck in the throat, not anywhere down the oesophagus. If so, it would have caused small laceration/wound in the oesophageal wall which is causing this symptoms.
That does not need treatment. It will heal on its own.you can take paracetamol or diclofenac drugs ,if pain is severe.
Avoid spicy and hot foods for 2 days.
In case symptoms persists, for more than 2 days, then you need to consult with the doctor and get an X ray of neck and chest ap and lateral view to see the bone piece.
You do need medical assistance for this.
There is no home remedy or over the counter drugs to remove the bone piece.
Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.