What causes breast tenderness and pain during menstruation?

Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

I would like to know about my left breast heaviness and bit of pain is it cyclic or anything serious related to this. could you please help me out. I have pain in stomach near naval and having constipation sometimes too. Is it related to hormonal changes. I am 35 years of age unmarried person.
Answered by Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for writing.
I understand your concern..

Breast tenderness and pain occurring during periods is normal and is due to hormonal chances. I would suggest to take a self examination of the breast. If there is a palpable mass you need to get a mammography done to rule out any lesion.
If there is no mass palpable a simple ultrasound of breast would be sufficient.

Is the pain on the naval associated with gastritis or is there a pustule over the umbilicus.. If it's just gastritis an antacid would be sufficient.

For constipation take fibre rich diet and loud of water. Dulcolax tablet also helps to relieve constipation.

Hope I have answered your query. Feel free to ask any doubts. Good day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 30 minutes later
Hello doctor,

Thanks for reply. If I share my pics with you will it be helpful to recognize the exact problem. Mine periods is not going on at presently. I have my periods after 10 to 14 days ahead. I have pain in stomach, left breast heaviness. I have bit of urine infection too. Will I be take taxim o tablet for this. Due to constipation I think this is happening. Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Breast examination needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for writing..
I understand your concern..

Actually a proper examination of breast is required if you are not on periods.. Also get an ultrasound breast and forward me the report. With pictures it's difficult to reach a diagnosis. Take dulcolax tablet at night today along with cyclopam which will help to relieve pain. For UTI get a urine routine.. If there is pus cells you can start on taxim. Also get a urine culture sensitivity.

Hope i have answered your query. Good day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj