• question-icon

What causes blood in stool?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Recently I seem to have blood in my stool, not in the feces but in the liquid surrounding them. No pain, no leakage. Possible causes?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Blood in the stool can be due to different causes such as: (1) infection- in that case, there would usually be diarrhea as well

(2)hemorrhoids- they would normally be associated with pain though not the case for everyone

(3)diverticulitis- this is inflammation/infection of the diverticula which are found in the colon.
Diverticula are outpocket/pouches in the colon. Not cancerous

(4)non cancer growths or polyps

(5)cancer growths

(6)inflammatory bowel disease eg crohns or ulcerative colitis

(7)anal fissure- usually have pain

(8)related to medication for clotting such as aspirin, warfarin etc

Medication such as ibuprofen, naproxen etc, can also cause bleeding to occur.

If you are using any meds that can cause bleeding, they need to be temporarily discontinued.

(9) constipation and straining

With a history of no pain , then there more common causes would be hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, related to medication, non cancer growths, cancer growths.

It would be best to see your doctor for an assessment to determine the cause, this would require a review of your history, examination of the abdomen and anal passage.

Blood tests and imaging may be required depending on the last time imaging was done eg if you had colonoscopy within last 5 to 10 years (this would make growths unlikely).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James