What causes bleeding during urination after a transureathal resection?
Cause of bleeding needs to be evaluated.
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone surgery for enlarged Prostate (TURP0 few years ago and since then you had repeated episodes of bleeding per urethra .
I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have any urinary symptoms like frequency of urination.urgency,nocturnal frequency etc suggestive of enlarged prostate?
2) Was specimen of resected prostatic tissue sent for histopathological examination after TURP surgery.and what was the report ?
The hematuria that you have could be due to one of the following three reasons.
1) Prostate might not have been resected completely during surgery(TURP).
2) Recurrence of enlarged prostate
3) Cancer of the prostate.
Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to find out the cause of bleeding.
1) Routine urine tests
2) Ultrasound Scanning of Abdomen.
3 Trans Rectal Ultrasound Scanning (TRUS)
4) Blood test for Serum PSA.
5) Endoscopic examination of bladder and prostate (Cystoscopy) if required.
Further treatment will depend upon the results of these tests and final diagnosis.
Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
1. The TURP specimen was cancer free and subsequent examinations were also cancer free.
2. I am scheduled to be seen today in one hour. Will let you know the results.
When you say that the prostate might not have been resected completely during the TURP does that mean total or partial removal? I thought TURP meant only removing the tissue that surrounds the uretha.
If the prostate has grown again which type of procedure would you suggest be done??
Please read detail answer bellow
Thanks for follow up.
In TURP surgery we resect adenoma a benign tumour that develops in Prostate and not the normal gland .One gets bleeding in immediate post operative period if the resection is incomplete .
However bleeding after a long period suggests recurrence of adenoma which is common after a period of 7-10 years.
If you have recurrence of enlarged prostate proved on ultrasound scanning you will need TURP again.
Thanks and Regards.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes bleeding when wiping after urination
- What causes pain during urination
- What causes bloating after urinating
- What causes bleeding in urine
- What causes bleeding during urination
- What causes pain after urination
- What causes bleeding during urination after a hysterectomy
- What causes spotting during urination after having sex
- What causes blood in urine and trouble during urination
- Bleeding after urination causes