• question-icon

What causes bleeding after intercourse while on birth control pill?

Posted on Wed, 24 Sep 2014 in Birth Control
Question: I am trying to figure out if bleeding when I use the restroom after sex is a side effect of my birth control medication.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The bleeding after having sex is not a side effect of the birth control medicine. Bleeding after sexual intercourse is not uncommon. It can happen due to some conditions such as:
1. Local infection or ulcer in private parts
2. Cervical erosion-ulcer like thing on tip of cervix
3. Forceful act
4. Lack of proper arousal which might lead to poor lubrication and friction at times.

Please discuss this with your gynecologist and get your self examined
In the mean time please use lubrication and ask your partner to use condom to avoid friction.

Take good healthy diet, rich in fruits and salads to maintain over all good health.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 minutes later
If it were option number one or two that you provided, would there be pain or discomfort? I have not had any pain or discomfort at all but I also don't feel that either of the other two are relevant to my situation. My partner and I are not forceful and I have no issue with arousal.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain is not necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It is not necessary to have pain or discomfort in both the options. These can be detected only after a direct examination. Doing a PAP smear will also help. Needs to be investigated as such a bleeding is not normal.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN