What causes blackish stool along with lower quadrant abdominal pain?
Peptic ulcer can be the case.
Thank you for the query.
Tar like stool usually indicates bleeding from peptic ulcer. Upper abdominal pain can be also caused by peptic ulcer.
However if tarry stool has appeared after Pepto Bismol intake and was not present before you have started this medicine, Pepto Bismol can be the main reason of black stool.
Lower abdominal pain is usually caused by urinary tract infection. If there are some stool problems like diarrhea, constipation, bloating, large intestine can be the case.
I suggest you to consult your doctor. If tarry stool was present before Pepto Bismol intake this is urgent and gastroscopy has to be done.
Otherwise you should have blood work, urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound done. You should also consult gynecologist. As the last step colonoscopy should be done.
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Having lower abdominal pain what could be causing this
- What causes lower abdominal pain
- What causes lower abdominal pain after urination
- What causes constant lower abdominal pain by hip
- What causes lower abdominal pain during pregnancy
- What causes spotting with lower abdominal pain
- Lower right abdominal pain - what is causing it
- What causes lower abdominal pain and thin pencil like stools
- What causes abdominal pain with diarrhea and bloody stool
- What causes abdominal pain with blood in stool