Owl Image

What causes black seeds in stool of an infant?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
My infant grand daughter passed some black seeds in her stool. She broke out into a strange rash and just passed those seeds. What should I do? The rash seems to be going away but I am still concerned about those seeds. What could they be?
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seeds

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question. The first thing I would consider is what your grandaughter may have eaten over the last few days. I don't know her age so I don't know what she is up to in her diet. It would be good to see if anyone fed anything containing seeds. However, even in an infant who is only formula or breast fed, her system can normally produce seedlike stools. It is not unusual. As long as she was able to pass the stool without much discomfort, it is not a serious concern.
Regarding the rash, there are many harmless rashes that come and go. This may or may not have been related to the stool (its doubtful). As ling as it resolved on it's own, we can leave it be.