What causes black outs?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Am seeing black for a second like I blinked eyes closed but don't recall blinking them. It only lasts a second or two. This has happened a few times. I had eye exam with dilation eyes were fine. I had my carotid arteries checked a couple of years ago and that was fine. I am under stress as I am the primary care giver for my dad.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blackout

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sending your query to us.
These black outs, in view of your normal eye examination, have to be general. What you have to do is to take care of your general health. A situation we label as lifestyle management. Proper diet, exercise and rest.Balanced healthy diet, exercise and yoga and adequate rest will help you in the long run.Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard. G
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 13 minutes later
Could this be due to stress? Should I have carotid arteries checked again, or do I not have to be overly concerned? Is a lot seen through the eyes?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blackout

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back
There are many other reasons for this other than carotid insufficiency. It is good that you have carotids ruled out primarily stress is the main cause.This is helped by the lifestyle management we talked about.
Eye examination reveals a lot about the body, this is the only region where you actually see a part of brain directly and very important is directly seeing blood flowing in the vessels. This gives us a lot of idea about brain diseases anf diseases of blood vessels like diabetes and hypertension.
Again any further query in this regard and you are welcome.