What causes belching and stomach discomfort post polyp removal?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Had endoscopy 5 days ago, 4 large polyps removed was fine next day ,as week has progressed no pain in stomach just uncomfortable feeling, plus constant belching, also notice stools getting dark, today very dark, plus when I went to bathroom earlier, water in bowl was red.

Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query.

It is expected that after polyp removal you can have some symptoms of abdominal discomfort with bloating ,belching ,and bleeding.
Bleeding can be expected for the first 3-4 days of surgery and it can make the stools look dark or black.
If the symptoms of gastrointestinal bleeding like black tarry stools, or red blood in stool continue in the following days ,you need to contact the doctor that performed the procedure and get examined.In this case ,another endoscopy to stop the bleeding might be necessary.
Bleeding is a common complication of removing large polyps ,so try not to worry.If the bleeding continues ,consult your doctor,otherwise you don't need to worry.It might take up to 2 weeks to recover completely.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any question.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati
Dr. Rovena Murati