What causes belching and abdominal discomfort?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have been having continuous belching,and I throw up every day.I probably can only keep down 85% or less of the food I eat. this has XXXXXXX going on for at least 6 months.and I have not lost a pound,my stomach is huge
I also have irregular bowl movements I usually only have one every 4 to 8 days and it is only a partial . My PCP diagnosed me with IBS , and sent me to a Gastro doctor which performed a EGD and a Colonostopy. I have been diagnosed with acid reflus for several years. he found that my esaphagus was inflamed, and I had several large polips on my colon.but he stopped there, I am very concerned. I cant take this much longer
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following suggestions to your health problems...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the health problems you are facing.

There are 3 main factors that are causing belching and abdominal discomfort to you:

1. Reflux/GERD
2. IBS, the symptoms of which are aggravated due to hyperacidity caused by reflux
3. Several large polyps on your colon.

I recommend to start taking :

- PPIs (e.g. omeprazole) for up to 7-8 weeks on daily basis to improve the symptoms of reflux
- butifar to control IBS symptoms. Once the hyperacidity of the stomach caused by reflux will be lowered, the symptoms of IBS will be improved too.

You are 54 years old, at the stage of menopause, which will aggravate IBS clinic itself. Please bare in mind that IBS is not an organic disease. Stress/anxiety or emotional changes can trigger IBS or aggravate its symptoms. Menopause is characterized by changes in emotional status, which can aggravate IBS.

- With regards to large polyps on your colon, should consult with gastroenterologist and general surgeon about surgical removal and run biopsy.

Hope it helped! Let me know if I can assist you further!
Dr.Klerida