What causes back pain?

Posted on Wed, 12 Oct 2016 in Back Pain
Question: Hi Doctor,
I have few back pain issues. I have consulted the Doctor and taken MRI Scan few months before. Got to know there are couple of disks abnormal(swollen). However Currently am am concerned on weight and hence focusing to reduce it. Doing yoga and exercise cause back pain. So am currently walking in staircases (120 steps) around 5 times. Will this cause any knee problem or severe back pain issues. Please clarify.

Please suggest options to lose weight.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to perform non loading exercises initially

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

I am glad that you have understood the need to lose excess weight and keep fit to reduce the excess load taken by the spine. This is the reason for majority of slip discs.

Climbing stairs or treadmill or jogging can affect your knees especially if you are much overweight like above BMI 30. In such cases, it is better to start with Power yoga, Pranayam, Aerobics, Static cycling, swimming to lose weight in the initial stages. Once you start gaining stamina and losing initial weight, you will be able to do other loading exercises as you mentioned and that time there will be less chance of knee joint damage. Bending forward will increase slip disc so please avoid it.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Here are my details,
Height : 163 cms.
Weight : 65 Kg
Please let me know if am good to proceed walking staircase with this weight or do you suggest Yoga. Due to tight work schedule and back pain issues, am comfortable with walking than Yoga. However I understand that health and fitness is important. Please suggest the best option to be fit and to avoid back/leg pain issues.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only level walking, avoid uphill. Also try reclining Stationary cycle

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

Your BMI is 24.6, which is within the normal range of 18.4 to 24.9.

You can definitely go walking, but do limit it to brisk walking for 45 minutes a day. Avoid uphill climbing as this will increase your disc problem. Try to use the treadmill on level walking mode.

You can also use a reclining Stationary exercise cycle as well for more time as this does not put much load to the back and knees. I would advise this over walking in your case. Also aerobics and swimming can help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon