What causes atherosclerosis?

Posted on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: ABI on left side.68. indicates moderately severely impaired profusion usually indicates a single level of stenosis or occlusion.- this is the results I was given and a arterial Doppler ultrasound of the abdomen, pelvis and lower limb has been booked for April 3rd. What does this mean? Should I be doing anything while waiting for the Doppler ultrasound?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCM Detailed Answer: This is moderate arterial occlusion disease caused mostly by atherosclerosis and it can be seen in your age. It indicates that there is stenosis of peripheral artery(most commonly femoral artery) and it requires further tests. (doppler and CT angiography). This is not an emergency and you dont have to be worried,but it can be cause of legs pain after walking. Doppler will show the exact level of stenosis and intensity of it. If there is critical stenosis than invasive surgical or radiological procedure will be neccesary. but considering this ABI finding,it won be neccessary and it can be treated conservatively by changing lifestyle( lose weight, avoid smoking,alcohol and controls blood sugar,control blood pressure) and dietary habits and taking certain medicines( antitrombotic agents).Feel free to ask. Regards
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon