What causes anxiety, progressive muscle weakness and rigidity of muscles and tremors?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm having alot of anxiety that I have als. 2 days ago I started having a tremor in my thumb and some weakness. No loss of strength but XXXXXXX horses in my legs and feet when stretching. Have had muscle spasms throughout body.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ALS usually cause significant muscle weakness and atrophy of muscles.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

I can understand your concern. ALS is Amyotropic Lateral Sclerosis. The disease is a motor neurone disease and usually presents with symptoms like progressive muscle weakness, wasting, twitching in muscles and rigidity of muscles. Tremors are not the initial presenting symptoms of this disease. You have no significant muscle weakness so in my opinion your symptoms can be labelled to be occurring due to ALS though detailed examination and evaluation is needed.

The tremors you are having are most likely occurring due to health anxiety related to ALS. Please try to reassure yourself because ALS usually show significant muscle weakness, rigidity, twitching of muscles and speech abnormalities. If symptoms are distressing you then consult a psychiatrist for treatment of anxiety related to disease.

Thanks, Hope this helps you, if you have more doubts please dont hesitate to ask again in follow up question. Take care.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
MD Psychiatry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist