• question-icon

What causes anxiety disorder?

Posted on Mon, 3 Nov 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: about 2.5 weeks I had cold symptoms during the day and then at night I had panic attacks. the anxiety and the panic attacks have been going on since then. I got over the cold but I still have head congestion. i went to the emergency room twice and they did an ekg test along with a blood enzyme test and blood clot test and they all came out clear. they diagnosed me with anxiety disorder but why all of sudden, i never used to be like this, could there be any physical condition that is causing my problem?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
difficult to say but consult psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern. Anxiety disorder is a broad category of the diagnosis, rather we can say you are having symptoms of panic disorder. But considering duration of only 2.5 weeks, it is too early to say that you have anxiety disorder.

In anxiety disorder only one episode of panic attack to be precipitated by some physical factors(like common cold situation in your case) after that due to some neurochemical changes frequent attacks occur on its own without any physical ailment.

However considering your age you should go for check up of serum Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D level.Deficiency of either of them can cause such symptoms. Also go for thyroid hormone testing, disturbance in thyroid level also can cause such symptoms.

For specific diagnosis, detail history,physical examination and mental status examination to be done by a psychiatrist.

So young lady, just relax and make an appointment with psychiatrist to clear your all doubts as in my opinion you seems not to be suffering from any particular anxiety disorder right now.

Hope I have answered your query,I will be happy to answer further.
Dr.Chintan Soalnki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist