What causes acute pain in the lower abdomen and excessive intestinal gas?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I've had acute pain in my lower abdomen since Monday. Comes and goes, seems to be especially intense when I need to eliminate but it isn't completely resolved by elimination. The pain rates a 5 or 6 on the pain scale when present. I've also had more gas than usual.
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
large intestine conditions cause lower abdominal pain

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern on abdominal pain.
1) Lower abdominal pain generally associated with large intestine conditions.
2) Having symptoms of gas along with lower abdominal pain might be due to constipation or indigestion (dyspepsia).
3) Though this is not serious problem, it affect quality of life much.
4) You should take stool softener or laxatives for constipation.
5) Intestinal digestive enzyme supplementation (Tab Unienzyme) sometimes help in indigestion related abdominal pain.
6) Occasionally when intensity of pain is severe, you should take anti-colic group of medication (Tab. Spasmoproxyvon) to control acute episode of pain
7) Diverticulitis in large intestine is one of rare possibility of lower abdominal pain in which intestinal diverticula get inflamed and produce pain. Treatment approach would be same but sometimes this problem require surgery in case of development of complication.
8) Having abdominal pain of moderate-to-severe intensity require further evaluation with USG abdomen, routine blood tests and colonoscopy (if required).

Hope I answered your query. If you have any further query, I would be happy to help you.
Have a good day!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj