• question-icon

What causes acid reflux and heartburn?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: i have a fair amount of acid reflux. I also feel like there is an obstruction part way down my esophagius. It does cause me to feel as though my food will not go down on occasion. I have had a couple of incidents where a mouthful that I swallowed comes back up. When I expectorate it, I'm fine and everything goes smoothly after that. I do feel as though i have heartburn much of the time, which has affected my voice when I sing and speak. Finally, and I believe it is related, I get hiccups soon after eating or while eating. My food seem to get stuck and I need to raise my hands to get it to reach my stomach. Thank you, XXXXXXX Richards
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need treatment for acid reflux

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX ! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question and i understand your concern.

All the symptoms that you describe are related to acid reflux ( GERD) and the medication ( antacid that you are taking are not helping enough.

I think it's time to start a real treatment against acid reflux with PPI group of drugs (esomeorazol /omeprazol..) or Antihistamin group of drug ( Ranitidine).

I would reccomend to take Esomeprazol/ omeprazol 20mg / twice x day for 4 weeks and if you don't feel any better would recommend to do an examination called -Fibroesophagogastroscopy to have a look from inside in your esophagus( the tube that the food go through ) and stomach to rule out Barrett's esophagus ( a complication of acid refluc). When you finish the first round of treatment you should keep using PPI for another at least 2 months until your esophagus gets healed completely and all your symptoms will go away.

- A halthy lifestyle is important to be followed cause will speed up the recovery :
-Avoid fatty food, fried , spicey , caffeine , alcohol
-Eat small portion several times / day
-Eat at least 2 hours before you go to bad .
While you sleep, keeo your head higher than your body ( 10 cm higher , use 2 pillows..)
-Do physical activity every day, loose weight if you are overweight.

Hope you find my answer helpful.
Let me know if you have any further clarifications, i will be happy to help .
Take Care !
Dr Balliu.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rudina Balliu