What causes abnormal nipple discharge?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Jan 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi, I'm 26 yrs old. My breast were leaking breast milk I believe, I have two small children but I haven't breast fed for almost two years now I just had my period dec.2, I'm on adderall and just started taking Zoloft 50mg and trazedone on occasions I take sleep medication at night. I'm overweight for my height and struggle with losing weight and increases in appetite, seeing my doctor takes like three months to get on the appointment list because of my insurance, any ideas what could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
This condition is called galactorhhea and it may be caused by several things. First, it may be side effect of certain medications, especially hormonal ones and psyhotropic drugs, including trazedone that you take. Such medications may affect hormonal status (prolactin, estrogen) and this may cause breast gland activity in women who are not breastfeeding. Second, it may be sign of primary hormonal disorders, such as pituitary gland adenoma. And thord it may be sign of local infections or hypertrophy of breast glands. So you should stopp trezadone first and see will it improve. if not, you should check prolactin levels and do breast ultrasound This should rule out most common diseases. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T