• question-icon

What causes itching on the arms while treating kidney failure?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have kidney failure and dialyze on Mon, Wed and Fri. I have sores on my head and the back of my neck that have been there for years. I also have thick patches of skin on my arms that never go away and sometimes ooze clear fluid. My head and arms itch constantly and I have been unable to sleep for years for more than 2 hours at a time.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please upload images.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would insist you to upload an image of the mouth sores. It is possible that the sores are due to Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency. In such a case taking Vitamin B complex supplements or more preferably riboflavin supplements should provide relief. The thickened patches of skin are called acanthosis. I would need to ask you the locations of these and also to upload an image of the thickenings and also the oozing fluid. It is possible that lympedema is also involved.

Taking some sleep medication like zolpidem should help. But you have to get it prescribed by your treating physician. He would also have to ascertain based on your kidney condition whether it can be given to you.

I would insist you to use clotrimazole powder topically over the areas with itchiness. You may also take some antiallergic like benadryl or cetirizine for relief from the itchiness.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 17 hours later
I never said anything about mouth sores, as I don't have any. This is a fungal infection and I wanted to know what over the counter creams or sprays I can use to treat it.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clotrimazole lotion topical application can help.

Detailed Answer:
Pardon me for mistaking head sores as mouth sores. Indeed the mentioned sores can be due to fungal cause and clotrimazole lotion or cream (OTC) can be used to treat it. Alongside, fluconazole tablet [prescription medicine] can be taken orally once weekly for 4 weeks to help in the resolution of the complaint.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha