• question-icon

What causes abdominal pain, fever and low BP after colon tumor removal?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband had a colonoscopy yesterday and had three tumors removed that are currently being biopsied. He had a heart attack last year and received two stints so I am very concerned. Ever since the surgery he has had abdominal pain. We have tried a heating pad and over the counter gas medicine. But his blood pressure has dropped to 105/74 and his temperature has risen to 101.5 and he is freezing.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain, fever, and drop in blood pressure may be due to infection and/ fluid accumulation

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,
Sorry to hear about your husband.

Pain, fever, and drop in blood pressure may be due to a little fluid accumulation which can happen after surgery with infection. It must have been a very major surgery and since it was only yesterday this may be expected. Since he is in the hospital, it will hopefully be taken care of.

But you are right in being anxious and aware because sometimes a relative observes more than a nurse/doctor.

If the symptoms do not subside, it may not be a bad idea to get a sonography done promptly--to rule out active bleeding/or any other cause.

Also make sure the abdominal girth is being actively tracked.

I am sure the treating staffs are well aware of all this, so make suggestions only if you feel these things are being neglected.

Please feel free to revert back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 38 minutes later
But he is not currently in the hospital. It was out patient surgery and we were trying to determine if I should take him back to the hospital.

Thank you for the response, but he is not in the hospital. The tumors were removed as out patient surgery in the colonoscopy. We are trying to ascertain if I should take him back to the hospital.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
then I would recommend, you try to contact the surgeon

Detailed Answer:
Hi, then I would recommend, you try to contact the surgeon and give him the status. I am sure he will recommend that he wants to see the patient. I personally also strongly recommend it.

Regards and wishing you the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Geeta Sundar