What causes abdominal pain after drinking distilled water?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been drinking distilled water for about 5 days now from a distiller I recently bought and I woke up this morning and it feels like my kidneys hurt. Is my body just flushing junk out or is this something else ?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I dont think it is related

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

I dont think it is related. It is known that destilled water is healthier and good for kidney function as it reduces risk of kidney stones formation,however it should not lead to any kind of pain in kidneys unless you took too excessive amount of it,more than 4 liters per day. You should wait and see what happens in next 12-24 hours. If fever or burning pain while urinating occur,then you should see doctor and check for urinary infection.

Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 58 minutes later
thank you doc could I have been dehydrated since I was very active yesterday. Does dehydration cause pain ?So far no burning or fever. I had 2 glasses of water and it feels better but still a little hurting
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dehydration possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Dehydration is possible cause especially if you didn't take 2-2.5 liter of fluids per day and even more if you are physically active