What causes a wart like growth in the groin area?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: is this genital warts? i had this bump for years. is this contagious? how do I remove and what kind of doctor do I see ? can it be removed with over the counter medicine?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is 100% a wart

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for your query.

I have viewed the Image. I can see a single skin colored growth with a rough surface. This is definitely a wart. A wat is an infection caused by Human Papilloma Virus i.e HPV.
Yes, warts are contagious. They can autoinoculate to adjacent skin and in the case of genital warts can be transmitted to sexual partner during sexual intercourse.
A dermatologist would remove it with withr electrocautery or radiofrequency cautery or carbon dioxide laser vaporization.
An over the counter medicine may not be effective in removing it completely which may result in subsequent recurrence and moreover it may in turn be complicated by irritation, pain, infection or scarring. So ideally you should get it removed by a doctor.