Are white bumps on the tongue indicative of oral HPV?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have two white bumpy areas near the base of my tongue. I would like to determine if it is oral HPV. They are slightly raised and appear white compared to the rest of my tongue. I noticed them because I felt I had something in my throat. I also thought I was feeling ill the past few days and had a minor sore throat. I have photos of my tongue if needed
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
Perhaps you have enlarged circumvallate papillae.
I request you to kindly upload an image in "Reports Section" so that I am able to guide you better.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
attached photos
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Swollen taste buds

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. The images are not very sharp. They are blurred. You may upload more good quality ones, if possible.
I think they are just enlarged tongue papillae - swollen taste buds, perhaps due to inflammation from sore throat.
I suggest you to do antiseptic mouth washes and take a B Complex vitamin supplement, once daily.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana