What causes a small sore in the vaginal area and painful intercourse?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I have a small sore or a spot that looks like skin scrapped off just next to entrance to vagina and pain on having sex
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Estrogen cream or tablet , antibacterial, antifungal ointment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Dr. Purushottm Neurgaonkar welcomes you to HCM VIRTUAL CLINIC. I have gone through your question, and I think I have understood your concern. I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

1 ) First of all do not panic.

2 ) I would like to let you know few facts.
At your stage of life, there is lack of appropriate levels of hormone estrogen.

As a result, the vaginal skin becomes thin, there is lack of moisture and vagina looses it's elasticity.

All these things make the vaginal area prone for infection, friction and bruising like injury.

3 ) In such a situation I will suggest you to get a gynec check up done to assess the nature of your injury.

From Your history, I will suggest you to get the prescription for Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg as needed to control the pain, ointment containing antibiotics, antifungal agent to be applied twice a day for 5 days.
Also, get a prescription for local estrogen cream or estrogen vaginal tablets to be used on daily basis and Lactic acid containing vaginal wash for daily use at Bath time

Estrogen preparations will help you maintain healthy , elastic and properly thick vagina. Also Lactic acid vaginal wash will help maintain the acidic pH of the vagina.

Please do not worry. It is a. matter of few days to regain your vaginal health. You can enjoy your life once again.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T