What causes a lump in between the sternum and navel?
As detailed below.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/62 - bulge above the naval of the size of double fist on sitting upright from prone position - past year ....
This may be due to
Divarication of recti or
Supra-umbilical large hernia.
The there is uniform bulge from naval to sternum wherein the gap can be easily felt in its whole length, this is due to divarication of recti. No definite treatment is needed and not available.
If the bulge is only above umbilicus which can have a small circular opening and may feel some boggy mas and/or gurgle of intestines, this is then hernia, needs surgery.
This can be confirmed by clinical examination by a General Surgeon and high resolution ultrasound.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes sensitivity around the navel
- What causes painless bruising around the navel
- What causes water to flow from my navel
- Does fibroid cause lump in navel and groin
- What causes a big lump below sternum
- What causes bloating above the navel?
- Sternum lump causes
- Cause of lump getting bigger sternum
- What causes swelling in inner navel and bloated stomach
- What causes a large lump at sternum