What causes a fibroma near the corner of the mouth?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Hi, Two weeks ago i had three teeth removed from upper right side of mouth. Apparently i had a very bad infection. no pain. i thought i had developed a channel and cyst at the inside corner of my mouth. i could press above these teeth and fluid would come out of this cyst. also a lot of saliva came out if i sucked on this cyst. I would do this without realizing i was doing it. I also bit this area all the time. This past wednesday I had this cyst removed. My dentist said it was a fibroma not a cyst. i was worried it was cancer, he said no, but he needed to find out other things about it to maybe treat it if it comes back. i'm still very worried. He did all kinds of x-rays on my mouth including a panoramic x-ray. His assistant asked him what caused this fibroma. He told her from me biting in this area. It causes a clog in my salivary glands and also formed a fibroma. can this happen? i've never had anything like this before, and i've had abcesses, believe me. Also I had ear pressure and slight pain around ear. Went to doctor and was told there was no ear infection, mastoiditis, or mennigitis present. I thought it was referred pain from my teeth. But it is still there after teeth removal. Also I still have a little throbbing feeling from tooth extraction area. not really pain, but feels like something is still there. He did remove small bone chip from that area and filed it down, could this be caused from some nerve in my gum? Also my dentist removed this fibroma with a laser. The area looks like a big deep canker. It his healing, but around it is swelling and actually is more sore than the canker area. It's been 4 days, is this normal. Also do you know how long it takes to get biopsy result. I worry because a year ago i had radical hysterectomy from endometrial cancer. There was a low grade tumor 3x4 cm. in my upper back uterus. I didn't need any more treatment. I was checked thouroughly all over and everything else was fine. They said it was caused by too much estrogen. I guess I will always worry about cancer to some extent. Sorry for all the questions. I do appreciate your time. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
fibroma, medication, bony spicule, TMJ disorder

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as your multiple problems following are the possible causes and treatment options.
1. Regarding the fibroma near the corner of the mouth, this can occur secondary to chronic biting over the cheeks or because of the sharp cusps of the teeth. Nothing to be panic, it is a benign or harmless condition. Any how you have got it excised.
2. Regarding the healing following laser surgery, it takes a week time to heal completely. If you have pain in the operated site you can use topical analgesic like choline salicylate and topical anesthetic like lignocaine. Do saline gargling.
3. Regarding the pain in the extracted site region can be because of the sharp bony spicule following extraction. The pus discharge can be because of the remnant infection in the extracted site. Nothing to be panic, you have already got the bone filing done. So just wait for another 3-5 days and let me know. If the pain is not subsiding then you need to get one more radiograph to see any bony changes at the extracted site.
4. Regarding the pain in the ear region, this can occur secondary to ear infection, since you are telling there is no ear infection, this can be because of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder. This can be aggravated by stress or if you are chewing only on side or bruxism. Do not bite on hard things, take soft diet, give hot fomentation over the joint.
Nothing to be panic, consult a good oral physician and get it evaluated. Donot worry about cancer and all. These are all simple issues. Nothing to worry you will be fine in a week.
I hope i have answered your query. If any queries are there, reply me back. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery