What causes a cluster of blisters on the arm?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I have a cluster of blisters that is surrounded by a reddened area. They started presenting symptoms of considerable burning. Burning has continued and gotten worse tonight.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes simplex or paedrous dermatitis, answer few questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through complaints and reviewed the attached photograph.
It seems to be either herpes simplex infection which is a viral infection or paedrous dermatitis which is a reaction to bite or crawling of an insect.
I need to ask you few questions:
What is the duration of blisters?
Is this the first episode?
What is the site of blisters?
Kindly revert with the answers.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 52 minutes later
Symptoms started showing two days ago was just an area on my arm that felt stinging and burning sensations. Then yesterday I noticed that a cluster of blisters had started showing. Today the area became more raccoons and the blisters became more intense as well as the burning pain .
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes, oral aciclovir & topical antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
According to your complaints it looks like herpes simplex.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to take oral antiviral medicines like tablet aciclovir 400 mg thrice daily for 5 days and apply topical antibiotic like mupirocin cream on the affected areas twice daily.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 30 minutes later
The area is on back of my arm. Herpes does not seem logical.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes can develop on any site, go for tzanck smear

Detailed Answer:
Herpes simplex can develop on any site including the arms.
If you have a doubt regarding the diagnosis you can go for tzanck smear of the fluid from the blister.
It will help in diagnosing.