What causes UTI during pregnancy?

Dr. Bhagyashree.B

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: my wife is three months pregnant. In the months leading up to conception, she went through severe UTI & high prolactin treatment (cabgolin for 2 months). However, she is fine now with results of all tests having come normal (around 3 weeks ago). She is taking throxine (25 mg daily). We want to take a vacation to US next month. Is it safe and advisable to take a 16 hours flight ?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyashree.B 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: keep well hydrated. continue Thyroid tablets Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXX, Thanks for writing to healthcare magic. Its good that all your wife's tests are normal. During long travel there is risk of Urine infection if Care is not taken regarding hygiene. Besides pregnancy is associated with risk of thrombosis in leg vein due to prolonged sitting position. She should sip on plenty of fluids to keep hydrated. Also passing urine often to keep bladder empty will decrease infection. Leg exercises in sitting position like flexing and extending the ankle, walking often will decrease the risk of deep vein thrombosis. If she has a history of similar complaints in past then she should discuss with her doctor regarding stocking for feet and aspirin medications. There is not Any significant risk to fetus now as its very early pregnancy. She can continue with her prenatal vitamins and thyroid medicine. Please write back if you have any queries. I will be glad to answer. Thanks Dr Bhagyashree
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyashree.B 57 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you for replying. We have consulted couple of doctors regarding this. All of them are well versed with my wife's medical history and have been treating her. While one doctor strongly advised against traveling, another one gave us a green signal while asking us to take precautions/care. If we decide to go, we would take all sorts of precautions such booking seats with better legroom, keeping hydrated, etc. However, we are looking for counseling with details of specific risks (involved in a 16 hour flight & medical treatment nuances in the US) to help us get a sense of the risk we would be taking during the vacation. This is our first pregnancy and we haven't yet celebrated our first marriage anniversary. We are happy & excited about the baby and want to go on this vacation before the baby comes, especially since we never been on a vacation yet. I understand that our query could be a slightly unusual one, so we would appreciate a candid and detailed advise/opinion. Regards XXXXX
Brief Answer: travel with caution recommended. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back. As per the details you have provided, there is no reason why your wife should not travel by air and I would like to agree with your doctor who gave you the go ahead. I can understand your concern of travelling in a foreign country. Pregnancy is not a disease and most pregnant women like your wife are young and healthy. Like you said if you take the necessary precautions during flying the prolonged flight should not affect her or the baby in any manner. Regarding the holiday in USA and the legal issue. If your stay duration if prolonged say more than 4-6 weeks then she will need a checkup. It's mandatory in early pregnancy to get a checkup once in 4 or 6 weeks. Pregnancy will have minor problems like gastritis, pain abdomen, backache or fever. For these you can take pills from here with your doctor's prescription after due discussion with your doctor so that you don't have to run around at the last moment. All pregnant women need a level 2 anomaly scan or ultrasound around 18-20 weeks. It can be delayed to 22 weeks but not beyond that. If you wife is not back by then which will be 4&1/2 To 5 months of pregnancy then you may have to do the scan there which may be difficult considering the fact that these are scheduled quite in advance. Also you may need to discuss with your overseas health insurance provider about the same. This is the best information I can provide you. Best of luck and have a great holiday. Thanks. Dr Bhagyashree