What causes Hashimotos thyroiditis?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 May 2015 in Pain Management
Question: I have pain under my skin. It usually starts on the back of my thighs, radiating around all of my thighs. On "bad days", it also hurts across my abdomen, my back, my buttocks, and the backs of my upper arms. It hurts to move, sit, wear clothes. The more I walk or move around, the worse it gets. No physical signs on my skin of anything going on. Lasts about 48 hours and then subsides. Sleeping for several hours also seems to alleviate the pain somewhat. I do have Hashimotos Thyroiditis, an autoimmune disorder, for which I am taking thyroid replacement hormone. I have had the thyroiditis for 15 years.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
This may be related to fluctuating thyroid hormone level.

Detailed Answer:

Hi
Thanks for your query

I'm Dr Sudhir Kumar

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Your pains can be related to fluctuating levels of thyroid hormones as you are having Hashimotos thyroiditis .Whenever there is less thyroid hormones these pains are more. You should maintain your thyroid level well. For pain relief you are advised rest and analgesic such as ibuprofen. Sometimes Rheumatoid arthritis is also associated with Hashimoto's thyroiditis so if Rheumatoid factor test is positive you may start disease modifying drugs for rheumatoid arthritis after consulting your doctor/ rheumatologist. You can discuss with your doctor about it.

Hope your query get answered. If you have any clarification then I will be happy to help you.

Wishing you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad