What causes blurred vision and disorientation while treating flu?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 27 Jan 2018 in Infections
Question: I have been having flu like symptoms for 3 or 4 months, I feel disoriented, my vision blurs as the day goes on, just generally feel terrible all over. I have had a physical and blood work. Everything looks good. I work for forestry and spend a lot of time in the woods. I have been bitten by numerous ticks this year. Do you think this may be a tick born disease?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is a possibility to be checked.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

The symptoms you mention are not very specific, meaning they could be cause by many different conditions, from viral infections, anemia, metabolic and hormonal alterations, nutritional deficiencies, rheumatological conditions. However since it's been 3-4 months I suppose most common causes have been ruled out by blood count, glucose, liver and kidney function, hormonal panel, thyroid function, vitamin B12 levels. If not already been done I would suggest testing for rheumatological conditions like lupus, rheumatoid through tests like antinuclear antibodies, rheumatoid factor, XXXXXXX antibodies etc.

If indeed all that has been done and results as normal then less common causes should be considered. Whether tick borne conditions can produce those symptoms....yes they can. In particular Lyme disease is common and manifest that way. A rash is present initially but not always and may be missed at times. So it is reasonable to have some additional blood tests on that regard to check for antibodies against Lyme bacteria.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.