What causes swelling in the knees despite no injury?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi. My son is 10 years old and started complaining yesterday afternoon about his knee "feeling weird." By bedtime it was very swollen and we wrapped it and iced it. This morning it is better, but the cause is mysterious. He didn't do any exercise or in injury any time around reporting it. It's not bruised or painful, but about twice the size of his other knee, primarily in the front. It appears to be just fluid, but... ?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to rule out dangerous septic arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

It is important to recognize if it is a septic arthritis of the knee especially if there is increased warmth and redness and fever.

Other possible diagnosis could be Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis which needs to be ruled out.

Do get an Xray and ultrasound of the knee to quantify the amount of fluid and whether it is pus or normal joint fluid. Pus if found needs to be drained immediately as am emergency.

Get blood tests like complete blood cell count, CRP, ESR, Rheumatoid factor.Keep the knee splinted and consult an Orthopaedic surgeon as soon as possible.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad