What cause weight gain inspite of having fruit smoothies and exercise?

Endocrinologist
Question
I am 44 years old I am extremely active (bike 15 miles per day) weight training 3 days per week (450 lbs on a leg press and Olympic lifts ect.) I also ski on the weekends with my kids (lake)... so I am very active... for about 2 months I have been on a raw food diet with a non dairy protein fruit smoothie ( all organic) 3 times per day and fruits and veggies througout the day... I lost around 6 pounds but went away for 1 weekend and strayed from my plan and gained it all back in 3 days... Losing weight is almost impossible... I weighed 115 from Junior year in high school till 40 then I got hurt and my doc gave me Lyrica in 3 months I gained about 40 lbs... Currently I weigh 176 lbs... what can i do to get back where I belong... BTW been on Synthroid for 2 years for Hypothroidism
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Weight

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your challenges with weight loss.

I see you are very athletic, and you eat healthy too.

There are 3 hormonal conditions that need to explored to see if your weight gain is due to one or more of these:

1 Under treated hypothyroidism:

I understand you are on Synthroid. The optimal TSH for those being treated for hypothyroidism is 0.4 to 2 as long as there are no medical conditions such as heart or bone problems, in which case less aggressive dosing is considered.
The free T4 levels need to be kept around the higher end of the normal range

With this type of blood picture, one can expect best results with your weight loss efforts. Over dosing causes more weight loss but at the expense of side effects and so it is deemed medically unsafe to do so.

2 Cushings syndrome
This is a rare condition in which there are excess 'corticosteroids' in the body.
Ask your doctor to consider performing a screening blood or saliva test, if he finds potential features of this on physical examination

3 Acromegaly
This is another rare condition in which body parts tend to increase in size. The screening blood test for this is called serum IGF1( Insulin like Growth Factor 1)

In general, it is desirable to have basic blood tests like CBC and CMP done along with other tests recommended above.