• question-icon

What cause severe sweating in a 63 year old woman?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in General Health
Question: I'm 63 female. Had a total hystirectomy in 1991. Four years ago I started having slight sweats when I did house work, even if it was freezing outside and very cool inside. All I heard was its you going through the change. Today the sweats have gone off the charts!!.I can do the slightest thing and I look like I just stepped out of the shower. I carry around a hand towel to wipe the sweat off of my neck and face. Its shameful to go out in public.My face gets very red and hot. I went to a indocrinologist and they said all tests were fine ! I'm not !Sitting here now I'm the sweats are horrlble and my glasses are fogging up ! What in the world is it? I'm not taking the same meds that I was 4yrs ago. Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Menopause related ma'am, do not panic, nothing serious, treatable

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Taking your age into consideration, along with the sweats and hot flashes you are experiencing I can without a doubt attribute your presentation to menopause.

I am sure you have already experienced many symptoms relating to menopause, and this must be new to you, but trust me this is nothing serious and is clearly due to a hormonal fluctuation caused by menopause. I recommend you visit a gynaecologist who will conduct a female hormone panel and initiate a course of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) to cope with the symptoms of menopause.

I hope you find my response helpful and informative. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan