What can i do to cure hard lump on butt cheek?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell down stairs on my butt cheek, and now I have a hard and somewhat tender lump in that area. I had a huge bruise, but that is gone now, this was 6 months ago and the lump has not decreased. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to haematoma formation which might get fibrose Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. Based on the information provided by you, this hard swelling most probably formed due to haematoma formation (collection of blood) which might get fibrosed or calcified. It will take few weeks to months to get disappear. Meanwhile continue hot fomatation over it, You can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily). I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination of hard lump. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance to rule out any bony pathology in the injured area. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr Saurabh Gupta
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 26 hours later
I googled heamatoma formation becoming fibrose. It has been six months since my injury, is this lump now a permenant thing, treated only by surgery or is this something that is treatable without surgery and reversable?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later
Brief Answer: You need not to worry . Detailed Answer: Sometime it is reversible, may take even a year to dissolve. You need not to worry if this hard swelling not increasing in the size. If it will cause symptoms ,it can be removed surgically.
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 days later
Thank you, I am relieved to hear that it is not a health issuse and will seek attention if it becomes larger or painful, but my question was one more of vanity. You said "sometimes it is reversible and will desolve." So worse possible senerio would be that it doesn't? Or will it just take time depending on the size? Other then applying heat, what else can I do? Would massaging the area help?
Brief Answer: yes, there would be possibility. Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, there would be possibility that it might not get dissolved. Most haematoma resolve by themselves and need no further treatment, but some may require surgical treatment. Beside hot fomatation, you can massage it. Massaging can increase blood flow to the haematoma and thus accelerate the healing process.