What are the symptoms of rabies?

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Tue, 5 May 2015 in Infections
Question: Hi,
I have earlier received the full course of Vaxirab as post-exposure(very little scratch by nail) treatment.

Now I am again been scratched by my pet cat. I am getting Rabipur only in my area. How many vaccine should I take. One doc advised full other doc advised only 3.However the leaflet shows only 2 needs to be taken. The area of exposure is very little and almost no blood came out.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Only 2 dose vaccine is enough.

Detailed Answer:
HI

If it is your Pet cat then I would recommend you observe the cat for 10 days . If your cat is normal ( doesn't die in 10 days ) then no need for Rabies Vaccine at all.

But if you can't observe the cat or if the cat dies in next 10 days then you need to take Rabies Vaccine , since you had a full course in the past now a 2 dose vaccine course is sufficient.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarification feel free to ask .

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 11 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The cat is normal and just 1 year old.No symptoms of rabies is exhibited in the cat and his mother(She is also a pet). But I have already taken the day 0 vaccine.Just wanted to confirm I should take day 3 and stop,shall I?

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Divakara 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes take it .

Detailed Answer:
HI

Thanks for the information.

In that case take one more dose on day 3 and Stop .

Take Care.