Suggest treatment after being bitten by a dog

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Infections
Question: My 5 years child is has a bite from street dog but not deep two front teeth rashes on posterior part. I washed the rashes woundw ith dettol and iodine afterward doctor suggested me rabipur which was not available so he suggested vaxirab n is it useful than rabipur. He gave the injection in waist will it react perfectly or will uneffective? should he give in thigh or in shoulder. Or can I change it to rabipur now for second dose.can my child take dose in shoulder or thigh or waist which will effective From XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rabipur can be opted for if you want

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. You have done the right thing by going for Vaxirab. It does not matter whether you stay with Vaxirab or move to Rabipur but the latter can be switched over to. The site of injection does not matter and you need not worry about the same. You can leave the choice of site to the doctor. I myself prefer the waist as the muscle bulk is more there.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 25 minutes later
But the pamplet shedule provide by vaccine manufacturers has written that for adult in deltoid muscle and small child (my 4.9 years) inenterolateral thigh but never ingluteal(as who org XXXX 2005)somebody said it will not work on posterior region if given on that it will condered as 0 so i was concerned that dr. Has given on posterior resion and now in few minutes i am going to take second dose can i request dr. To give in thigh and show pamplet or not to worry and take it easy also may i sure that this vaccine will restrict XXXX and hydrophobia in future and my child will safe. I am asking so that i did not sure the dog was infected or not it was sreetdog
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Somebody who said that it will not work if the injection is given somewhere else, did not provide you with right information. He seems misinformed. You need not worry. It needs to be given intramuscular. Any muscle with a reasonable muscle mass is fine. You need not worry.

If you can monitor this street dog, it would be great. if the dog does not seem abnormal after 10 days from the bite, you can stop further vaccines. If the dog is rabid, he will manifest in less than 10 days. If you cannot monitor this street dog, that would be ok too but in that case you would need to complete the course.
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 11 minutes later
Sir i was talking about company pamplet which given with dose that had written so to take in anterolateral thigh.
After ward i ask to someone
I can't find that dog so dr said 5 doses
Is there any need to take booster in future
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Additional boosters not needed

Detailed Answer:
I understand that you are talking about the pamphlet enclosed in the package.
No need for additional boosters with respect to this episode.