What are the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello Doctor. For some time now I have thought that I might have carpal tunnel syndrome. I had a nerve conduction test last week and the reviewing doctor said that the results were significant and I would need an op on both hands. I have two questions, if I may.
1.      I have a cord like line running from my wrist up my arm for about 2-3 inches. Is this significant to CTS. This is on my left hand which is the most affected one.
2.     I also have tingling from my elbow to my little finger – could this be another pressed nerve and would that need to be operated on too?
Thankyou for your assistance and I look forward to your answer.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later

The cord like line that you have noticed running up from your wrist may be a tensed tendon which is visible due to the pressure caused on the tendon by the fascia on the wrist. This prominence of tendon will gradually resolve once your symptoms of tingling sensation from your elbow to your little finger is due to entrapment of the ulnar nerve at the level of elbow most likely due to inflammation or nerve compression around the elbow due to bony spurs or swelling of the elbow joint.
It needs to be carefully examined for the cause and then treated accordingly. Please discuss about this symptom with your treating doctor for complete evaluation.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1. Avoid frequent use of the arm with the elbow bent
2. Avoid leaning on the elbow or applying pressure on the inside of the arm
3. Keep the elbow straight at night when you are sleeping. This can be done by wrapping a towel around the straight elbow, wearing an elbow pad backwards, or using a special brace.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Regards.