• question-icon

What are the symptoms of an ALS?

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Im scared that i have ALS, for the past like 5 weeks or so i have felt weakness in my legs and hands. I asked about this on here about 3 weeks ago and a doctor told me that it could not be ALS because 1. I am too young and 2. Usually ALS first appears in only one limb. Well for the past week or 2 i have only felt weakness/ soreness in my right forearm and hand, this makes me fearful that it is ALS. Also, if you look into previous questions you'll see that for months now i have suffered from sensitive spots on my scalp, i dont know if this is a symptom of ALS, but it seems to have to do with my scalp muscles so it makes me more fearful about it. Please help me!!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are not suggestive of ALS.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and know that you are anxious about amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).

I would like to reassure you that these symptoms are not suggestive of ALS. Scalp muscles are not affected in ALS.

In ALS, there would be weakness and wasting (thinning) of muscles in one limb, and after several months, would proceed to involve other limbs. Also, there would be twitching of muscles.

This disease is very uncommon in people below 40 years of age.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 24 minutes later
Well if you look at my previous inquiry from a few weeks ago, i am having some muscle fasciculations and twitching, which ive noticed more of since i read that this was a symptom of ALS
Brief Answer:
Fasciculations are more common in BFS.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

These fasciculations are more common with benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), which can get worse with anxiety, as in your case.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
So you dont think i have ALS. Well what fo you thunk could be causing my muscle weakness then?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be ALS.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Yes, I do not think you have ALS.

We need to exclude vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. Also, lack of exercise and stress can lead to weakness.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 hours later
Do you think that it could be carpal tunnel? Because it is just like a stiffness in my hand and forearm, ive thought for a little while that i may have a thyroid problem if you look at one of my old questions that i asked. I saw that carpal tunnel might be a symptom of thyroid problems. I have also had like digestive problems and other things that have lead me to this conclusion.
Brief Answer:
Could be carpal tunnel syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I agree that it could be carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). In CTS, the main symptoms are pain and tingling in hands, fingers and forearms.

Also, it is more common in people with hypothyroidism.

CTS can be excluded/confirmed by doing nerve conduction studies.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 37 hours later
Is it possible to have carpal tunnel in only 1 of your arms?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Yes, it is possible to get carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) on one side. This is because, there is a separate median nerve on each side. Compression of median nerve at the level of wrist leads to CTS.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist