What are the signs and symptoms of a genital herpes?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Kakkar,How long since you have this complaint of pain?
3 days
Is there any history of recent unprotected sexual exposure?
No,i have used condom.
Do you also have any associated urethral discharge?
No
Are there any genital sores?
No
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibilities regarding your complains of pain during micturation

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you

There is a possibility that it is either chemical urethritis. Chemical urethritis should resolve by itself in another 2-3 days. Another possibility is that it is Genital Herpes. Protected sex does not provide 100% protection against herpes simplex virus transmission.
I suggest you to drink lots of water. You may take a screening test for herpes at 4 weeks from your sexual encounter.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Herpes simplex is treath to life? please tell me am big worried.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes is not life threatening

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No. Herpes is not life threatening. Herpes simplex is the most common STD prevalent in sexually active young adults. Clinically it presents with recurrent episodes Genital Sores. The severity of clinical episodes varies from mild to severe.
However, you first need to screen for it. Right now you dont have genital sores and herpes simplex is just a possibility.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
i will take screen test today or tomorrow and let you know
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thats fine

Detailed Answer:
Ok. Sure.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 13 hours later
i went to dreamtology MD in person to check up. he checked my penis and said you have good healthy penis. no need to worry for any virus. he suggested to check with urologist.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest a screening test

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Right.
I would still suggest a screening test for HSV i.e HSV ELISA (Type 1 and 2, IgG and IgM). This is because herpes simplex virus infection can be transmitted despite protected sex and majority of infected patients are asymptomatic or have only mild symptoms like burning micturation. This suggestion is barring the fact that your penis looks normal and there are no obvious sores. You can take this screening blood test at 4-6 weeks from your sexual encounter.