• question-icon

What are the signs and symptoms of Legionnaires' disease?

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: What are the symptons and solutions to those who have been exposed to Legionnaires Disease? I was in a prison setting over the weekend where we used their water to make ice iea, lemonade, and plain drinking water. We were just informed that this is currently a problem there. How long does it take to eradicate this situation?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if you get sick expect high fever and symptoms of pneumonia

Detailed Answer:

since you don't have any symptoms you can't do anything right now. If you develop symptoms expect high fever and symptoms of pneumonia including cough, muscle pains, headache, malaise, etc. If you've used drinking water no troubles are expected. Legionella usually multiplies fast when there is artificial water (like in air-conditions) in temperatures between 20-45 degrees of Celsius and particularly when the water is not 'clean' enough (presence of fungi).

Many cases are connected to contaminated ventilation systems. The incubation period is approximately one week.

Treatment takes at least one week and may take much more in severe cases.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind regards!

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis