How can a painful rash on the lip be treated?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doctor
Could somebody please tell me what this lip rash looks like. It's hurting like as though the skin got peeled or something like that.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cheilitis, topical steroid and moisturiser

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to us at Healthcaremagic
I have reviewed the attached photographs and it seems to be cheilitis which is inflammation of the lips most likely to cold dry weather and exposure to cold winds.
I would recommend you to apply a topical steroid like mometasone cream on the affected areas twice daily for 10 days along with frequent application of a moisturising cream containing white soft paraffin on the entire lips 4-5 times during the day.
Steroidal preparations are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Hello doctor
I have some tickly bthroat and feverish but no fever as of now . Also the left side corner of lips the chin area below the lips seems to be palpitating every now and then but just for a fraction. I also wanted to tell you that I suffer from ulcer in stomach . I am so scared of herpes doctor actually last Saturday I had gone for a deep cleaning session in one side of teeth to one of our family dentist but I feel that the nurse took out the dental mirror and dental probe from an open place and kept in open tray when I immediately asked them the doctor and nurse said that these instruments were actually the Ines that doctor opened in front of me for putting injections to numb the gums( actually procedure is done in two rooms for the injection in one room and for the deep cleaning in one room ) so the nurse said that she brought those instruments bin a wrapped tissue paper. The doctor then showed me the sterilisation procedure followed in the dental office . My query is
1) it's been 9 days since exposure I am so scared
2) the patient before me had amouth lesion treated be laser but the assistant doctor who treated him said it was for some kind of laser ( I don't know whether she was sumply saying it because I was very scared of herpes and I was repeatedly asking her that)
3) will virus pass through such instruments ( in their official website they say that it died seconds after exposure as it is a very fragile virus )
4) incubation period is . I am discarded doctor please Help me
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't think any chances of herpes

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your entire history and don't think there are chances of herpes.
Usually for herpes of the oral cavity and lips the incubation period is approximately 5 days.
The virus usually spread through infected secretions of a person having lesions of herpes.
The virus won't pass through instruments as it dies within few seconds.
The doctors always autoclave the instruments that have beed used in a patient and then used in other patient.
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 16 minutes later
Hello doctor
Since today morning the chin which is right below the lower left side of lips towards the corner is twitching , it happened three or four times today just for a fraction of seconds I am very scared doctor , I always experience eye twitching but not lip twitching why is this happening . I have attached few pics , I have just applied Hydrocortisone cream as a precaution can you please tell me is there any swelling below that left XXXXXXX of lips are there re any difference between the two side ?
Brief Answer:
Both the sides are same

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the newly attached photographs.
Both the sides are looking same. I can't appreciate any swelling on the left side of lips or chin.
The twiching can occur sometimes due to muscle fatigue.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 6 hours later
Hello doctor
I have attached few pics now that I have taken in that the left side lower corner of lips are dry and tight ( why is it like that ? ) also please could you once again check if there is any swelling . Also can I use sebamed lip balm for the entire lips ( I mean the same lip balm for the entire lips or should I use one for the left side and a new one for the rest if the lips ) is it required ?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can use same sebamed lip balm for entire lips

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the newly attached photographs and can appreciate dryness on the left side of lower lip.
It could be due to dry weather or allergy to some cosmetic.
I can't appreciate any swelling.
Same sebamed lip balm can be used for the entire lips.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad