• question-icon

What are the side effects of taking reduced dosage of Lexapro?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Dear Dr. Sheppe,
I am at the beginning of the week four without Solian. I was almost without symptoms at the end of last week, but my psychiatrist has also decided to low the dosage of Lexapro from 15 mg to 10 mg, because i had problems to sleep, especially very vivid dreams and nightmares. I am just on the third day without Lexapro, and i had a "down" with my progress without Solian. I would like to know if the lowering of Lexapro can affect for a while the recovery from Solian, even if as far as i understand this kind of "obsessive paranoia" i have is due to dopaminergic factor.
Thanks beforehand, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Private Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks again as always for using my direct private service.

I'm glad you were almost without symptoms at the end of last week, this is a big improvement! It means we're moving in the right direction.

You're asking about how a decrease in Lexapro might affect coming off of Solian. Lexapro affects serotonin receptors, whereas Solian as you know works on both dopamine and at the serotonin receptor 5HT7. It is certainly possible that as serotonin levels decrease with the decrease in Lexapro dosage, you might experience adverse effects similar to what might be experienced with a change in Solian. Effects to be aware of include flu-like symptoms, body aches or headache, depressed mood, and anxiety. If your doctor truly feels you need to be at a lower dose of Lexapro, then I would recommend fighting through these symptoms as they typically go away in a couple weeks as the brain readjusts.

As always, you may ask a followup question, or if you are finished and satisfied, please remember to rate and close this answer.

Dr. Sheppe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Dear Dr.,
Thanks a lot for your answer. Should I understand that there is no interaction between Lexapro and Solian even if Solian works on serotonine receptor 5HT7? I mean, this receptor is not going to be decreased for a while with a lower dosage of Lexapro, then creating some more obsessive symptoms?
Thanks a lot, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Private Followup

Detailed Answer:
You're most welcome!

There is no major interaction between Solian and Lexapro. However, they both increase serotonin activity broadly in the brain, Lexapro more generally at many receptors and Solian more specifically at receptor 5HT7. This receptor, 5HT7, is being utilized a bit less now with the lower Lexapro dose and the absence of Solian, which can cause serotonin withdrawal symptoms as I detailed above. However, I do not think this will cause any obsessive or paranoid symptoms -- serotonin is much more involved in mood rather than psychosis, which is primarily related to dopamine in the brain.

Dr. Sheppe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist