What are the side effects of medical abortion?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor XXXXXXX

Based on my earlier discussion we have consulted Gynecologist here in Singapore and she confirmed 6 weeks pregnancy.

After all discussion and consultation doctor advised two ways of termination, medical and surgery.

Here, we want know medical way side effects and how much percentage it can result clean abortion.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Almost 90-97%.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting us about your health care.
Medical termination may cause incomplete abortion, infection and severe bleeding.
Should always be done under expert observations.
It may terminate pregnancy almost 90-97% depends upon usage of medicines.
If you used mesoprostol along with mifepristone in appropriate dosage,it may complete the abortion process in 96-97%.
Surgical procedure is called D&C and can be done with expert hand.
Hope found useful, feel free to discuss more information.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 35 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor.

Here I have one query, as you said remaining 3 to 4% can cause any issues in future?

Especially any issues will come related to future pregnancy ?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
No it will not affect future pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
No,you should not worry about it ,if medical abortion is done under supervision chances of side effects are very less.
So you should take abortion pills under supervision of an expert doctor, so the side effects are very less.
And you should not be worried about future pregnancy.
You can try 6months to one year after abortion.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 days later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

On last Thursday(08Oct 1985) checkup, doctor confirmed 6 weeks 4 days of pregnanacy. Please suggest us to take medical abortion is possible or need to go for surgical?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medical abortion upto 49 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for the information.
As medical abortion pills can be taken upto 49 days and in your case it is almost 46 days.
You may go for medical and surgical abortion both but surgical procedure is better in her case.
With medical abortion chances of incomplete abortion is more.
Hopefully found useful.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad