What are the side effects of Dexamethasone?
Dose of 2 mg /12 hourly is OK. Dexamethasone has many adverse effects!
Thanks for consulting and your trust in HCM means a lot to me as a Physician.
I have completely reviewed your health query, and well realize all those concerns. Being your physician, I will take care all of them today and will extend my expertise to solve the problems.
If we take Dexamethasone in the long run the most important side effect is that it suppresses body's own production of the same hormone (corticosteroids produced by the adrenal gland in body). Taking 2 mg per 12 hours is OK. But like every drug it has its own safety profile and adverse effects on the body. You should always consult your treating physician before thinking of changing your medications.
Other side effects are:
Delayed wound healing, Diabetes mellitus and Depression.
Eye issues including glaucoma and cataract in many individuals on long term therapy.
Intracranial pressure can be raised in some.
Insomnia (lack of sleep) is very common.
Moon face abnormality i.e., Swollen face and body also gains weight a lot due to increased fluid in the tissues.
I have seen Vertigo in some of my patients.
Hope I answered all of your queries. Let me know if you have further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you. Please don't forget to give 'Five star rating' (if agreed) to help me assist patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to click on 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up is necessary regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is a need to change the treatment options. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Always write down my name in start of your questions at this forum & I will be with you in no time).
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is aggression a side effect of dexamethasone?
- Dexamethasone side effects dose
- Is diarrhea a side effect of dexamethasone?
- Dexamethasone weaning side effects
- Is fainting a side effect of dexamethasone?
- Is sleeplessness a side effect of dexamethasone?
- Side effects of dexamethasone tablets
- Dexamethasone side effects withdrawal
- Is dizziness a side effect of dexamethasone?
- Dexamethasone mouthwash side effects
- Suggest treatment for indigestion and gastric problem
- What causes red patch on glans penis?
- What causes swelling in ankles and foot?
- Suggest remedy for pain in testicles
- What does my lab test report indicate?
- What does my urine analysis test report indicate?
- What causes blood in urine with flank pain?
- Suggest remedy for rashes on penis
- Suggest remedy for kyphosis
- Suggest treatment for pain and pulled muscle in lower back