What causes blurred vision after a cataract surgery?

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
I had cataract surgery just a little over 3 weeks ago in my left eye. The next day I noticed a "shadow" in the corner of that eye. My eye doctor said that's very common and usually clears up in 2-3 months. However, aside from this shadow, I have noticed my overall vision is more blurry, even the things I used to see far away which I had no problem with. It was seeing things close up I had a problem with. Now, when I watch TV in the dark there is a glare on the screen and the picture isn't as clear as it was 1-2 weeks ago. I again saw my eye doctor and he gave me drops to put in at night saying I had "dry eye", that it can be due to the weather and pollution. Why didn't I ever have these problems before? The eye drops are not helping me and I'm very concerned my overall vision is more blurry, yet my eye doctor says I'm healing fine. I don't know what to think and I'm very scared.
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Good idea to have a second openion.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
Had it been something significant,your doctor would have told you or started different treatment.Still it is not a bad idea. to get a second openion primarily to take care of your anxiety,also due to your symptoms.Our patients after 3 to 4 dsys of surgery are happy.Why are you not feeling better should be looked inti.
Thete are condetions where symptoms are aggrevated after surgery like dry eye but that shouldn't cause such blurring.
There may be inflammation of eye,retina or cornea or any residual power after surgery , which will be corrected by glasses,this we have to know.
On your follow up visit,how many lines were you able to read?This will give us an idea aboutbvisual status.
A second openion will anxiety at rest.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.

Follow-up: What causes blurred vision after a cataract surgery? 54 minutes later
I was told that initially my vision in the eye was 20/100 and now is 20/40. My vision in the eye not operated on is 20/30 and that eye I was told has a slight cataract. I'm wondering why is my vision 20/40 in the eye where the cataract was removed and not better than that? Before the surgery I couldn't read in that eye with my glasses on and now I can read. I was able to read about 5 lines the last time I saw my eye doctor the other day. I also have some fluttering in the eye at times. I was told that it can take up to months for the brain and eyes to adjust, is this true?

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Second openion needed

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to me.
There should be an explanation for a 20/40 vision.In our practice if a patient does not have very good vision in 4 to 5 dsys there has to be a reason like inflammation.Usually our patients have good visiin latest by 4 days or earlier in a un complicated surgery.So the statement of brain getting adjusted in a month does not hold.
The fluttering you mentioned was probably inconsequential.
Though you have gained full reading vision but distance vision needs improvement, that's why i wanted a second examination to find out the reason for sub optimal vision.
At times patients have some change in power initially before refraction settles down,but whatever is the reason we have to know it.
There is probably nothing much to worry,as you have full reading vision and two lines for distance are missing.Still i would appreciate a second examination.

Follow-up: What causes blurred vision after a cataract surgery? 8 hours later
I will go and get a second opinion. Here is the information as to what type of lens was placed in my eye. Model: SN60WF Power: 20.5D Length: 1.30mm
Optic: 6.0mm
SN 0000

I don't know if you can tell me what this means. I appreciate your feedback.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Routine configuration of lens.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to me.
The specification you sent,shows that pre operatively the condetion of eye was normal and the surgery was routine.There was no gross abnormality,where you expect sub normal visual recovery.
As near vision is ok,i would expect distance vision to improve in a couple of weeks.