What are the risks of intercourse during menstruation?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: Hello.. Me and my girlfriend perform unprotected sex with utmost care. We haven't faced any problem till date because i ejaculate outside everytime. This time we had unprotected sex during her periods. It has been so for over three four times. We both are very much active and healthy be it physically, mentally or sexually. I wanted to know is it safe having sex at this time? Are there any risks involved if yes then i would want to know how it might affect the both of us. We really enjoy sex during that time of the month. I would want to know what risks are involved in this. Please let us know how it would affect us individually if so.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no major risk if you both are comfotable

Detailed Answer:
Hello Young man,

To have sex during period is totally female choice. Some females like and some do not.

If your partner is comfortable and able to enjoy there is no specific risk.

But yes during this time vaginal walls and cervix are soft so you should not be vigorous in strokes. Go gently. As well as chances of infection to you are there if you do not use condom as debris are coming out of uterus and with that normal flora (microorganisms) come out. If she has any infection chances are more and in that case she should take treatment for the same.
I suggest using condom specifically during this period.
By chance if you do not use condom wash genitalia properly after sex with mild shop.

Note: Use of condom even period is not there works as a contraception.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 9 hours later
So neither she or me will face any risk or problem ryt? If you can explain a bit further both in my case and hers it would be of great help i mean individually. Any other risks other then infection? Will she be normal after that or will that affect the both of us? I would want to know all the risks involved both in her case and mine as well.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I have already mentioned for both, it is safe, no major risk

Detailed Answer:

Please read answer carefully I have mentioned the precautions for both of you.

- Some higher chances of transmission of infection in both partners if any one has already some infection.

- Male partner should wear condom and do sex in gentle manner without being aggressive or applying excess force.

- Wash genitalia thoroughly after sex.

No other risk or problem to either partner. Rather it may help to female to be relax during menstruation. She will be absolutely normal after sex.

In conclusion you can enjoy sex without any risk during periods also if she is comfortable.

All the best.