What are the repercussions of antibiotics overdose?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 12 Jan 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my boyfriend took antibiotics that his mom gave him for a tooth infection. He has accidentally taken 5 capsules over 24 hour period. pills say mylan 3422. looked it up and it says nitrofurantoin monohydrate macrocrystald.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer.....must consult a dentist for proper evaluation.
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
You have consumed only slightly high dose of nitrofurnatoin and hence should not face any problem in this regard. In case you do get bloody diarrhoea or sudden chest pain or shortness of breath or tingling in feet or hands etc,then you should go to ER immediately. Although chances of such an happening is less.
As far your tooth pain is concerned,you must consult a dentist for proper treatment.
Frankly speaking NITROFURNATOIN is not the antibiotic used for tooth infection. It is an antibiotic meant for urinary Tract infection and is not given for tooth infection.
For the time being you can give ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for pain and try consulting a dentist as early as possible.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar