Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

What are the findings from the blood work report? Suggest suitable treatment

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
My son is 7 years old and had been transported to our local ER after becoming unresponsive after waking up in the am. When we were at the hospital they ran stat blood work and an MRI . He woke up out of the blue over 1 hour later. They released us that same day after observation with the instructions to go see a geneticist. I'm very confused...why unresponsive and why a geneticist . The MRI showed nothing but the blood work is what they gave us to give to the doctor at Nemours hospital for children. Any clue what happened?
Lipase Level L 8, Alkaline Phosphatase H 203, UR ketone 4+, UR Protein 1+, UR mucus trace, WBC H 19.5, Seg% H 65, Bands% H15, Lymphs % L 13, Monos% H 1.4, Chloride L 97, Co2 L 16, Anion Gap H 26, BUN H 27, Creatinine L 0.3, Neutrophils absolute H 15.6, and last MonosH 1.4.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
seizure could be the cause of LOC investigate

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
The reports you have provided are suggestive of severe metabolic acidosis and high anion gap phenomenon.
The high ketone in urine are indicative of serious metabolic trouble.
It seems the child has suffered a seizure of metabolic cause that has resulted in loss of conciousness.
You have not mentioned his blood sugar levels, he may be having Type-1 diabetes as a cause for this, please get his fasting and postprandial sugar level and HbA1c level to detect it more precisely.
There may be some other genetic metabolic disorder that is why they want a geneticist's referral.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Genetics Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor