What are the findings from MRI of cervical spine?

Posted on Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi, just wanted a perhaps more simple explanation of recent MRI results. Having frequent severe headaches that seem to start in Scapula area and creep up to head. The MRI states I have a 2 mm disc bulge and osteophyte at c4-c5. Also says the ventral subarachnoid space is partially effaced. at C5-C6 states uncovertebral osteophyted extend 4mm inota and markedly narrow the right neural forame. Also the left neural foramen is also severely narrowed by uncinate hypertrophy, and the central canal is patent. At C6-7 the disc is moderately narrowed with circumferentially 2-3mm disc bulge. the rental subarachnoid is partial effaced but no central canal stenosis is evident. Both neural foramina are moderately narrowed by uncovertebral hypertrophy…..So that is a mouthful. Is this something to worry about and should I get an opinion from neurosurgeon as opposed to pain management specialist? Thank you !!!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted the reports of your MRI of cervical spine. First of all, I would like to reassure you that these findings are minor and are not something to worry about. There is bulging of discs at three levels in the neck, as mentioned. In addition, there is mild to moderate pinching of nerves at those levels. These nerve arise in the neck and travel to the arms. Symptoms that we can expect from these MRI abnormalities could be neck pain, arm pain, tingling and numbness in arms, etc. Treatment would consist of medications such as pregabalin capsules, and physiotherapy. No surgery is required at this stage, and hence, there is no emergent need to consult a neurosurgeon. You should consult a pain management specialist at this stage. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist