Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

What are the findings from MRI of cervical spine?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5551 Questions
Hi, just wanted a perhaps more simple explanation of recent MRI results. Having frequent severe headaches that seem to start in Scapula area and creep up to head. The MRI states I have a 2 mm disc bulge and osteophyte at c4-c5. Also says the ventral subarachnoid space is partially effaced. at C5-C6 states uncovertebral osteophyted extend 4mm inota and markedly narrow the right neural forame. Also the left neural foramen is also severely narrowed by uncinate hypertrophy, and the central canal is patent. At C6-7 the disc is moderately narrowed with circumferentially 2-3mm disc bulge. the rental subarachnoid is partial effaced but no central canal stenosis is evident. Both neural foramina are moderately narrowed by uncovertebral hypertrophy…..So that is a mouthful. Is this something to worry about and should I get an opinion from neurosurgeon as opposed to pain management specialist? Thank you !!!!!!!
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted the reports of your MRI of cervical spine. First of all, I would like to reassure you that these findings are minor and are not something to worry about. There is bulging of discs at three levels in the neck, as mentioned. In addition, there is mild to moderate pinching of nerves at those levels. These nerve arise in the neck and travel to the arms. Symptoms that we can expect from these MRI abnormalities could be neck pain, arm pain, tingling and numbness in arms, etc. Treatment would consist of medications such as pregabalin capsules, and physiotherapy. No surgery is required at this stage, and hence, there is no emergent need to consult a neurosurgeon. You should consult a pain management specialist at this stage. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor